CURRENT EXHIBITIONS Now Showing
Wales Contemporary / Cymru Gyfoes is an international open competition for 2D and 3D artwork in any medium excluding film and photography, awarding six prizes to a total of £12,000. Developed by the Waterfront Gallery in association with the Welsh Government, Wales Contemporary seeks to celebrate all aspects of the country by inviting artists to submit work that is inspired by its ancient history, its art history, its heritage, its landscape (rural, urban or political) and its contemporary culture.
The Waterfront Gallery is a Social Enterprise and a Registered Charity and has in the last two years become a truly international gallery through the initiative and leadership of David Randell, its’ curator and director, in the creation of the Wales Contemporary International Arts Competition in 2019.
Following a call for entries which saw the submission of in excess of 1100 artworks from across the world – including the UK and the Republic of Ireland, Denmark, France, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Romania, Cyprus, Japan, China, Russia, Hungary, Moldova, Chile, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, the USA and Canada were all represented – 150 works were selected for the 2nd Wales Contemporary exhibition at the Waterfront Gallery in Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire from 13th November to 30th December 2020, and at the OXO gallery in London in the Spring of 2021.
Our gratitude goes to:
- The 2020 judging panel for all their hard work and good humour in selecting such a wonderful exhibition: artist Basil Beattie RA, painter and emeritus professor Gerda Roper and sculptor Sebastian Boyesen.
- Our valued sponsors Rob Thompson and Tessa Prior, Valero Petroleum, Milford Haven Port Authority, George James, and the Waterfront Gallery.
- Our partners Parker Harris of London whose fantastic support has helped make this possible.
- ‘Visit Wales’ for their support and advice
- Our small but supportive number of volunteers without whom this would not have been possible.
This project has received funding via the Tourism Product Innovation Fund (TPIF) supported through the Welsh Government Rural Communities – Rural Development Programme 2014 – 2020, which is funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) and the Welsh Government, the Fund aims to encourage new innovative product ideas working in partnership which will have a greater impact and attract more visitors.
Wales Contemporary @ OXO Gallery, London
Wales Contemporary / Cymru Gyfoes is an international open competition for 2D and 3D artwork in any medium excluding photography. Artists are invited to submit work that is inspired by Wales’ ancient history, its art history, its heritage, its landscape (rural, urban or political) and it’s contemporary culture.
The iconic Oxo Tower Wharf situated on the riverside walkway of London’s fast moving South Bank has been selected do display the exhibition in the spring of 2021.
If, due to Covid, there are further changes to dates the virtual exhibition being developed by the Waterfront Gallery can be viewed online by those people unable to visit.
Dates of the Exhibition in the OXO Gallery are
- Thursday, 25 February 2021: exhibition opens at the Gallery@OXO, London.
- Sunday 7 March 2021: exhibition closes at the Gallery@OXO.